Scheffer Andrew Ltd. Planners and Engineers offers planning and engineering services to rural and urban municipalities. Our experience and know-how encompasses municipal statutory plans, land use bylaws, and lake management plans. We provide planning advisory services for smaller municipalities which don’t have their own planning departments, or which require assistance with specific projects.
Our engineering services include water and sewage treatment, storm water management, and infrastructure construction, upgrading and modification. We conduct project feasibility studies, perform detailed facilities planning, and provide infrastructure design and construction supervision.
Our services include:
- Municipal Development Plans: Municipal Development Plans define the long term growth plan for an entire City, Town, Village, or Municipality, setting the stage for what lands will be developed as parks, residential, commercial, or industrial. These plans take geography (hills, rivers etc.) into consideration as well as major utilities, regional facilities (airports), highways etc. In some jurisdictions that we work in, a Municipal Development Plan is also called an Official Community Plan.
- Land Use/Zoning Bylaws: A Municipality’s Land Use Bylaw or Zoning Bylaw sets the rules for site specific development within the municipality. The land use and zoning bylaw defines what is permitted to be developed on land with each designation in terms of minimum lot sizes, permitted and discretionary uses, minimum setbacks, building coverage, building height, parking requirements, landscaping etc.
- Area Structure Plans & Concept Plans: Area Structure Plans are high level plans that determine the intensity and style of development for large tracts of undeveloped land. In some cases, your land may already be within an existing ASP, or you may be required to prepare one for adoption by the local municipality before developing.
- Area Redevelopment Plans: Area Redevelopment Plans are high level plans that determine the intensity and style of development for large tracts of re-developing land. In some cases, your land may already be within an existing ASP, or you may be required to prepare one for adoption by the local municipality before re-developing.
- Planning Advisory Services: Many small and medium size municipalities do not have adequate full-time planning staff to handle the processing of planning applications which they receive. We can provide experienced planning staff to assist municipalities process applications and get through busy periods without new hiring full time staff.
- Servicing & Infrastructure Feasibility Studies: Long term planning of land and uses also requires long term planning of infrastructure to service those uses. Servicing and Infrastructure Studies are completed to determine existing infrastructure capacity, develop high level servicing concepts for future development and to assess infrastructure costs in order to assist with long-term budget planning.
- Construction Engineering & Management: We can help municipalities with infrastructure design and construction for new municipally funded utilities and roadways or with the rehabilitation of existing infrastructure.
- Development site servicing plan (DSSP: Calgary): While municipalities across Alberta have similar guidelines for private lot development, DSSP acronym is specific to the City of Calgary. DSSPs are prepared and submitted to the city to ensure the proposed design and structures are in compliance with City standards and existing infrastructure.
scheffer andrew ltd. planners and engineers services to rural and urban municipalities
Click on any image to toggle through the photo gallery